Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Sloppy Jedis

Time for a recipe post! 
This recipe came from my sister-in-law who adapted it from a Paula Deen kids' cookbook.  I wanted to call these "Messy Bessies" but my kids decided to call them "Sloppy Jedis" (my 8 year old son is into Star Wars - what can I say?).  We like them much better than with the canned sauce and they're super easy.

Sloppy Jedis
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
dehydrated onions to taste
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tsp yellow mustard
dash of white sugar
dash of salt
buns (We buy whole wheat slider buns.)
sliced pickles or pickle relish
sliced cheese optional

Brown meat with dehydrated onion and drain well.
Stir in 1/3 cup ketchup.  (Add a little water to the measuring cup just to rinse out the ketchup and add to beef mixture).
Add in 1 tsp yellow mustard.  (Trust me, start small with the mustard.)
Stir really well until all combined and taste.  If desired, add more ketchup, or add more mustard SPARINGLY - the mustard goes very far!
Add in dash of sugar and salt, if desired.

Serve on slider buns with sliced pickles or pickle relish.  We haven't tried these with a slice of cheese yet, but that would be good, too!  Sliders are the perfect size for my kids - she eats one, he usually easts 2.  We add a green veggie and...voila.



(Yes, she's wearing a pink Santa hat in July!
It's my favorite recent thrift store find! She loves it!)

With school starting in 25 days (who's counting, right?), I plan on browning up plain ground beef and freezing in gallon size freezer zipper bags in 1 1/2 lb. batches. 

All in all, yummy hot sliders at home and healthier than the drive thru on busy nights!  Family Approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment